Since becoming vegan, I had yet to have or make a pot pie. My family has liked pot pies but we usually bought the frozen variety (I was too lazy to make one homemade). I know that there is a frozen vegan pot pie you can buy, but for the price I would be the only one to get one and I would need to make something for the rest of the family. So, I googled recipes and found a pretty simple process. I do not remember which site I found this recipe so, I just want to verify that it is not my recipe. Here goes.
1 1/2 packages of firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 small sweet potatoes, diced
1 cup chopped carrots
3 cloves garlic, minced (I used my nifty garlic press)
1 1/2 cup chopped chard
1/2 onion, diced
2 9-inch pie crusts (I found a whole wheat frozen at Whole Foods that had no dairy or eggs in it)
Salt & Pepper
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup nutritional yeast (plus some extra)
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Heat in a large pot of water. Boil carrots and sweet potatoes for about 10-12 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, warm olive oil in a large saute pan. Toss cubed tofu with a little nutritional yeast (the extra I
mentioned earlier), just enough to coat-this will help it fry up with some flavor (oddly enough, it smells like chicken). Saute onions and garlic for a few minutes; add tofu to pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 7-10 minutes or so.
4. When potatoes and carrots are done boiling, drain and add to saute pan with tofu. Add chard and stir, cooking for another few minutes until chard has cooked down. Remove from heat.
5. Mix gravy ingredients (last 7 ingredients, from water to pepper) in a sauce pan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until it thickens (about 7-9 minutes).
6. Taste gravy and tofu mix. Add more seasoning if desired. Add half the gravy to tofu mix and stir. Spoon tofu mix into 1st pie crust. Add rest of the gravy to the top and cover with 2nd pie crust.
7. Bake for 1 hour. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
*Note, if you bought frozen pie crusts…, thaw before you begin this process. If you are like me and didn’t…., place one crust at a time in microwave and speed thaw for 40 seconds. Repeat with second crust.
I was really happy that all my boys enjoyed this. My husband detests sweet potatoes. Even though he knew they were in there, he said they didn’t taste like sweet potatoes and it all just tasted good. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. If you end up making this yourself…, come back and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Have a great day!!!